The Sacred Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does Dunn use three-line stanzas with one indented line in the middle, rather than just two lines? How does the visual shape of the poem affect the way we read it?
- How does Dunn's poem convince us that cruising around in a car can be sacred?
- In what ways does the rhythm of this poem imitate a car driving down the street?
- What is it about "going" that is central to "The Sacred"?
- Why are there tense shifts in this poem? What effect does it have on the poem?
- How does the setting of this poem become significant? Why does it start in a classroom and end in a car?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search