The Canterbury Tales: The Second Nun's Tale
by Geoffrey Chaucer
Tiburtius Timeline and Summary
- Immediately after Valerian asks Cecilia's angel that Tiburtius be converted, Valerian enters the room and notices the strong smell of flowers.
- When Valerian explains where the smell comes from and explains the Christian faith to him, Tiburtius assents to its basic truth.
- Tiburtius demands an explanation of how there can be Christ and God, leading to Cecilia's explanation of the Incarnation and Trinity.
- Tiburtius joins Valerian in refusing to worship at the shrine of Jupiter.
- With Valerian, he preaches at the home of Maximus the executioner, leading to the conversion of that household.
- Tiburtius is martyred and buried with Valerian.