The Canterbury Tales: The Second Nun's Tale
by Geoffrey Chaucer
Valerian Timeline and Summary
- Valerian is the husband Cecilia's family chooses for her.
- On their wedding night, Valerian demands visual proof when Cecilia claims an angel protects her virginity.
- Valerian assents to the truth of Christianity and receives baptism from Pope Urban.
- Valerian asks Cecilia's angel that his brother learn the truth of Christianity as well.
- Valerian helps Cecilia to convert his brother, Tiburtius.
- When Valerian refuses to worship at the shrine of Jupiter, he and Tiburtius are sentenced to be executed together.
- Before they die, Valerian and Tiburtius spend a night preaching to the executioner at his home, after which the entire household converts to Christianity and is baptized.