The Spectacular Now
The Spectacular Now Chapter 1 Summary
- It's ten a.m., and Sutter Keely is already drunk.
- Oh – and did we mention that he's a high school senior?
- Is he in school, where he should be? Of course not.
- He's driving over to his girlfriend, Cassidy's, house – who also happens to be skipping school right now.
- Sutter starts musing about how awesome the weather is today, and how he couldn't care less about his education.
- He stops by a convenience store to get a big 7UP to mix with his whiskey, and finds a six-year-old boy standing alone out front, by the pay phone.
- The kid asks Sutter for a dollar, so our big-hearted goof-off buys him breakfast, and then offers to give him a ride to wherever he's going.
- Walter – that's the kid's name – accepts, and tells Sutter he's running away from home.
- To Florida. From Oklahoma.
- Apparently his parents just got divorced, and he wants to go live with his dad.
- Sutter totally sympathizes, but he talks Walter into at least going back home to get his baseball bat. So that he can hunt for food on his way to Florida.
- The kid is swayed by this irrefutable logic, and Sutter starts driving him home.