The Spectacular Now
by Tim Tharp
The Spectacular Now Chapter 22 Summary
- Sutter asks Aimee if she has any good stories, and she tells a couple … which all happen to be about goofy things she's seen him do over the years.
- No, no. He wants stories about her. What about her paper route?
- She tells him about this one time when she was 12, and her mom made her walk part of the route alone instead of driving with her.
- As she was walking, a completely naked guy came out from behind a hedge.
- Poor Aimee dropped her papers and took off running till she found her mom in the truck, delivering more papers a few blocks down.
- But her mom made her go back and get the ones she'd dropped, and finish the route.
- Talk about cold.
- After that, she was always terrified. She even saw the dude again one time, coming out from behind a house and getting into a Lexus. (Say what?)
- Suddenly, a really heavy, really ugly (according to Sutter) girl shows up at their lunch table, and Aimee introduces her as Krystal Krittenbrink, her friend.
- Sutter's a total gentleman, even standing and offering his hand.
- Which she doesn't take.
- Possibly because that's super weird. Who does that in a high school cafeteria, really?
- She bosses Aimee around telling her that they've got French Club in a few minutes.
- Aimee wants to stay with Sutter, but by the time Krystal's done with her, she's agreed to leave without even finishing her lunch.
- Um, can you say pushy?
- Sutter asks for her phone number so he can call her about tutoring, and she gives it to him, with Krystal providing the sarcastic commentary.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...