The Spectacular Now
by Tim Tharp
The Spectacular Now Chapter 25 Summary
- Aimee reminds Sutter of a guy he knew named Kenny.
- Kenny was like the male version of Cinderella or something – he lived with his stepdad and three big stepbrothers.
- His mom had committed suicide. Rough, huh?
- He was always home cleaning while his stepbrothers were out…well, committing crimes.
- Sutter would go over to his place and mow the lawn for him sometimes, just to help the guy out.
- As he pulls up to Aimee's house, he realizes that it's a lot like the one he grew up in.
- He takes a sip of whiskey, and is greeted at the door by Aimee –wearing lipstick.
- It doesn't really do much for her.
- Her little brother Shane is being very annoying, little-brother-style, and tells her their mom said she should go to the store and get a bottle of Dr. Pepper for Randy, her boyfriend.
- Sutter tells the kid to go get it, but he just makes a raspberry at him.
- He's trying to help Aimee, so he puts on the gentleman act, and they head for her room.
- It's like night and day compared to the disastrous mess in the rest of the house – totally neat, and full of hundreds of books, all tidily stacked.
- She tells him they're mostly science fiction. She wants to work for NASA someday, and live on a horse ranch.
- Her favorite series is called Bright Planets. The main character, Commander Amanda Gallico, is like, her hero.
- (Totally made up series, BTW.)
- The tutoring starts, and Sutter finally sees a little confidence in her. He thinks she might even be able to get him to understand math.
- Well, maybe if he were a better listener.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...