The Spectacular Now
Cite This Page
The Spectacular Now Chapter 32 Summary Page 1
- Sutter makes a beeline for Aimee, who looks like she might throw up at any time.
- Jason admits he got her another beer, to loosen her up.
- So Sutter tells him Quigley's looking for everyone who even talked to Alisa tonight – and he takes off.
- Seeing Marcus and Cassidy still together, Sutter puts his arm around Aimee's shoulder and takes her over to the lake.
- He gets her a wine cooler. Now that's more like it.
- They talk about Aimee's sci-fi books some more, and what their dream adventures would be like. (Aimee's is taking a trail ride up a mountain. Sutter's is fighting off the loggers in the rainforest. Ookay.)
- They walk over to a pier and sit on the railing, looking out at the water.
- Aimee finishes her wine cooler and then wants a sip from his flask. She gags it down, but seems to be enjoying herself.
- Finally, she works up the courage to tell Sutter her real dream.
- She wants to go live with her sister in St. Louis and go to college at Washington University, where her sister goes.
- Sutter doesn't understand why this is such a big, secret dream – it seems normal enough.
- But Aimee says her mom won't let her leave.
- She has to stay to help with the paper route until her brother's old enough to start helping – she figures she'll go to community college till then.
- Sutter is shocked, but Aimee says her mom won't even speak to her sister, since she moved away for college.
- And, on top of that, Krystal Krittenbrink is planning on going to OU, which is close by – and she expects Aimee to stay and be her friend.
- Sutter cannot believe how Aimee lets everyone walk all over her, and frankly neither can we.
- After a lot of coaching, and a few more swigs of whiskey, he gets her to scream obscenities at Krystal, and then Randy, and then her mom, telling them to get off her back.
- Of course, none of them are actually there, so it's all good.
- They both scream across the lake till they collapse laughing.
- Sutter tells her she's got one more person to yell at – the dude that broke her heart.
- But she tells him she's never been in a relationship, because she's not pretty.
- Sutter starts raving about how pretty she is, and to prove it –
- He kisses her. Like, seriously kisses her.
- And afterwards? He does it again, of course.