The Spectacular Now
The Spectacular Now Chapter 35 Summary
- So now Sutter's avoiding Aimee.
- But he just happens to keep bumping into Cassidy, and she ends up asking him to go shopping with her.
- He picks her up, drives her to a bunch of different stores, and even acts interested in what she's shopping for, even though it bores the stuffing out of him.
- Of course, they're both drinking from his flask the whole time, and after a while, they give up on shopping, and just go driving.
- They start reminiscing about all the good times they had together. Cassidy even tells him she misses the magic she felt with him.
- Naturally, then end up at Sutter's house. In bed.
- But suddenly, Cassidy freezes, stops kissing back, and tells Sutter to "just go ahead" (35.30).
- Sutter isn't some kind of jerk, so of course he doesn't just go ahead.
- He asks her if she's thinking about Marcus.
- She says she's confused. She loves having fun with Sutter, but she can't just have fun all the time. She has a serious side, too.
- And Marcus has a plan for their futures – he's already talking about marriage.
- (Yikes, girl, you're only in high school.)
- Cassidy likes that Marcus is a good guy, but she wishes he'd loosen up every once in a while.
- Sutter tells her she can let loose every day with him, but she knows that's not realistic.
- So, he breaks it off for good. They can just be friends, and she can come to him whenever she needs a laugh.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...