The Spectacular Now
Cite This Page
The Spectacular Now Chapter 37 Summary Page 1
- Downstairs in the hotel atrium, Sutter bumps into an ex-girlfriend, Shawnie Brown.
- The two of them have this thing they do whenever they see each other – they start talking like Italian mobsters.
- After a few minutes of talking like the Sopranos, Sutter tells her the party's lame, and challenges her to a game of ping-pong.
- He gets her a 7UP to mix with some of his whiskey, and she proceeds to trounce him at ping-pong – three times.
- Next up, a weight-lifting competition in the hotel fitness room … but the room only has treadmills and bikes. Bike race!
- Sutter ends up falling off the bike and hitting his head hard. He needs to find the hot tub to help him heal. Of course.
- Sure enough, they find one, and they both get in, fully dressed.
- They start talking about old times, when they were still dating, and pretty soon, they're kissing.
- But not for long.
- Shawnie starts laughing first, and then Sutter joins in. They've got the Italian mobster routine – they can't make out.
- Sutter asks her why they broke up, and she tells him it was because things never deepened between them. It always just seemed like they were two buddies fooling around.
- Shawnie tells him he'll find the right person one day, and then they decide to head back to the party.