The Spectacular Now
by Tim Tharp
The Spectacular Now Chapter 39 Summary
- Sutter drives Aimee over to Marvin's Diner, one of his favorite places to eat.
- It's really out of the way, under a bunch of radio towers with blinking red lights on them.
- Sutter tells Aimee the lights remind him of the Chase building, where his dad works on the top floor.
- But Aimee says she thought the top floor was a restaurant or something.
- He says he means the top floor of offices, and then they squeeze into a booth, and order some chili fries and 7UPs for their whiskey.
- Sutter starts making up crazy stories about another couple in the restaurant, but Aimee doesn't laugh.
- She just notes that he doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of marriage.
- He, he just has trouble with the concept of forever.
- She tells him that her dad died of an aneurysm because he was addicted to inhaling gasoline fumes.
- Sutter is so intent on changing the subject after that that he doesn't even mind Aimee telling him all about her ideal husband and home, even though it sounds like something a 9-year-old would dream up.
- But he doesn't want to crush her dreams, so he just says he thinks it's cool.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...