The Spectacular Now
by Tim Tharp
The Spectacular Now Chapter 4 Summary
- Sutter knows he drinks a lot, but he doesn't want us to think he's an alcoholic. He just drinks for fun, you know.
- Sure, he's taken those Internet quizzes to see if he qualifies as an alcoholic, and yes. Basically, he does.
- But Internet quizzes are better for telling you which faction you belong to than determining if you have a life-threatening addiction, right?
- Sutter insists that it's all a matter of attitude. Drinking to forget? Bad.
- But Sutter drinks to expand himself. He actually thinks he's a better person drunk.
- He first tasted alcohol with his dad, when he was six.
- They were at a ball game, and he begged his dad for just a sip of his beer – but then chugged half of it instead.
- The thing was, his dad acted proud of him for it.
- Sutter didn't really start drinking till 7th grade, though.
- He'd steal beer from the grocery store with his pal, Ricky, and they'd drink it and then let a big Doberman chase them for fun.
- Until the day they found out it was all bark and no bite.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...