The Spectacular Now
The Spectacular Now Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What can you tell about Sutter's personality from his style of narration?
- We see the story in The Spectacular Now through Sutter's eyes. How would the same events seem different if they were told from the other characters' points of view, like Ricky's, or Holly's?
- Do you think the observations and comments Sutter makes throughout the book are thoughts he had while sober or drunk? Does it matter? Why or why not?
- Why exactly does Sutter loves alcohol so much? What does it provide for him?
- Sutter loves all of his friends but has a negative view of every single parent and sibling in the entire book, whether his or his friends' – except for his dad. Why is that?