The Sun Also Rises
Cite This Page
The Sun Also Rises Book 2, Chapter 12 Summary Page 1
- Jake wakes up early and goes digging for worms. We’re trying really hard not to make a lame early-bird-catches-the-worm joke. Oops – there it went.
- Jake and Bill eat breakfast and joke wittily about irony and pity. Lesbians, Abraham Lincoln, Robert Cohn, caffeine, and sex obsessions are all discussed… you know, the usual. Both of them are having a fine time, and they’re clearly on the same wavelength.
- Next, the friends hike up to the Irati River to fish for trout. When they get there they chill some wine in the river and go off to fish in different areas.
- Over a picnic lunch of eggs, chicken, and cold, cold white wine, they compare their catches and extemporize on the classic chicken vs. egg debate. Bill and Jake are both in top form – fishing is great! Picnics are great! Nature is great!
- After the wine runs out, a pensive mood takes over briefly. Jake admits that he was in love with Brett on and off for a long time.
- They spend five days fishing, drinking and playing cards with a jolly Englishman named Harris. It’s paradise.