The Voice Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you think that the ghost of the woman is real? Or is the voice just in the speaker's head?
- Do you think of "The Voice" as a love poem? Why or why not?
- How important is Hardy's biography in your interpretation of "The Voice"? Would you have a different understanding if you didn't know about his dead wife?
- How so?
- How would you describe the time frame of the poem? How do different moments in time (present, recent past, distant past) play out in the poem?
- Does the speaker figure out how to mourn for someone he no longer loves? Is there a solution to this problem in the poem ?
- What is the effect of the poem's rhymes and meter on its content?
- Why do you think that the poem changes its form in the last stanza?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...