The Canterbury Tales: The Wife of Bath's Prologue
The Canterbury Tales: The Wife of Bath's Prologue Lines 309-329 Summary
- Just because our apprentice, Jankyn, has nice blond hair and escorts me around town, you suspect me of cheating on you with him. But I wouldn't sleep with him even if you died tomorrow!
- Why do you hide the keys of your strong-box (piggy-bank) from me? It is my property just as much as yours! Do you want to make me look like an idiot?
- I swear, you will not be master of both my body and my property. One, you'll have to give up.
- Why do you need to inquire after me and spy on me? I believe you'd like to lock me in your chest.
- Here's what you should say: "Wife, go where you want to, enjoy yourself. I won't believe any rumors about you, because I know you're a faithful wife."
- We wives don't love a man that tries to control where we go. We want to have our freedom.