Theme in Yellow
Theme in Yellow Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How do the first two lines of "Theme in Yellow" immediately establish the speaker as non-human? Why choose a non-human speaker? What's the effect?
- How does the imagery of the pumpkins change over the course of the poem? How do we eventually know it's Halloween time?
- What's the purpose of repeating that "I am" clause throughout the poem? Why not change things up a bit with different phrasing?
- How would you describe the overall mood of this Halloween poem? Are there any specific words that help make this poem stand out in comparison to some scarier interpretations of the holiday?
- What's the effect of all the enjambment we see in the poem? How does this contribute to the overall sound?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...