There Is No Dog
There Is No Dog Chapter 8 Summary
- When we meet Bob's mom (Mona), she's playing poker and drinking gin. Oh, hey! A cool mom.
- She's having a grand old time.
- Bob shows up with Eck and Mona wonders if the Eck is Bob's kid. Ugh, mom. Obviously not—just look at his nose.
- Anyway, we meet two new characters, Mr. Emoto Hed, who runs this poker joint, and Estelle, who is his quiet daughter. She likes the Eck, and Hed likes Mona. It's a total like-fest.
- Estelle feeds the Eck a plate of sandwiches, and for a while he is happy. Mona's poker game starts to decline a little bit. (Let's remember that she's been chugging gin.) But maybe it's not the gin's fault: she's just been dealt a postcard and a picture instead of cards.
- Hm. Could one of the other players (who all seem to be fearsome Gods) be cheating?
- Mona is mad. She transforms into a rage-monster, and we get to see that these Gods are actually pretty scary, even though they look normal and human most of the time.
- She goes all God-power on the poker club, and starts a drunken rampage. It would be funnier if Emoto Hed weren't one scary dude, but he is. He makes her sit down and shut up.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search