They Flee from Me
They Flee from Me Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why is the speaker initially so vague? Why not just come right out and talk about the women, instead of coyly comparing them to animals?
- Why do you think the girls stop visiting the speaker? Did he grow old? Did they move on to other men?
- Does the speaker seem like a bad guy who doesn't care about girls' feelings? Or is it a bit more complicated?
- Can you relate to the speaker's feelings at all?
- Does it seem like the speaker had serious feelings for the one special girl he mentions? Or do you think his obsession with her was just about how good lookin' she was?
- What do you make of the speaker's confusion in the end? Why doesn't he know what this woman deserves? What do you think she deserves?