The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien
The Things They Carried The Dentist Summary
- O'Brien wasn't a huge fan of Curt Lemon—he thought the guy was too cocky, too self-involved. But he wants to tell us a story about Curt Lemon anyway.
- Once, when it is quiet, the higher-ups send an Army dentist out to the soldiers to check their teeth.
- Lemon starts to panic. While he is pretty fearless in combat, he really hates dentists.
- When he walks into the dentist's tent, he faints.
- After he wakes up, he sulks for a while.
- Later that night, he goes to the dental tent and tells the dentist that he has a horrible toothache and he needs to have a tooth pulled.
- The dentist says that there's nothing wrong with his teeth, but Lemon insists, so the dentist pulls the tooth.
- After that, Lemon is back to normal.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...