Athos Timeline and Summary
- When we first meet Athos, he is wounded.
- Athos agrees to duel with D’Artagnan.
- Their duel is interrupted by the Cardinal’s Guards. Athos helps in fighting them off.
- He becomes friends with D’Artagnan.
- When helping to recover the diamond studs, Athos is held up by four men of the law. He holds them off to give D’Artagnan time to escape.
- After helping D’Artagnan, Athos barricaded himself into the innkeeper’s cellar. He and his lackey Bazin drank one hundred and forty bottles of wine.
- When he comes out to greet D’Artagnan, Athos wants to drink again, so the two friends crack open some bottles.
- While drunk, Athos confesses to D’Artagnan that he once fell in love with and married a woman who turned out to be a branded criminal.
- The four friends head back to Paris where they receive word that they must outfit themselves for war.
- Athos recognizes a ring D’Artagnan received from Milady. D’Artagnan decides to give his friend the ring to sell. The two then use the proceeds to outfit themselves for war and ride out.
- Athos helps guard the Cardinal during his rendezvous with Milady. Luckily, Athos is able to eavesdrop on the conversation. He realizes that Milady is his (ex-)wife.
- Athos comes up with the idea of the friends consulting in the bastion St. Gervais.
- Despite looking outwardly calm, Athos is anxious that the friends’ attempts to warn Lord de Winter and the Queen succeed.
- Athos accompanies D’Artagnan to the convent where Constance is staying.
- He then tracks down the man who branded Milady, and he coordinates her trial.
- Athos refuses the commission and writes D’Artagnan’s name into the order. He serves under D’Artagnan until inheriting a property in the country.