The Time Machine
by H.G. Wells
The Narrator / Hillyer Timeline and Summary
- The narrator attends one of the Time Traveller's Thursday-night dinner parties and hears the discussion about time travel. He's not entirely convinced by the Time Traveller's demonstration of a model time machine.
- On Friday the narrator runs into the Medical Man at the Linnaean Society in London. The Medical Man tells him how he once saw someone else do a similar trick.
- The narrator attends the Time Traveller's dinner party again the following Thursday and listens to the Time Traveller's story.
- He shares a cab home with the Editor, who clearly thinks the story is made-up.
- No one else believes the Time Traveller, but the narrator sort of does.
- The narrator comes back the next day to talk to the Time Traveller.
- The Time Traveller is not in the lab, so the narrator examines the Time Machine.
- He talks to the Time Traveller, then he catches a glimpse of him vanishing.
- The narrator ponders what it all means.