The Time Traveler's Wife
Cite This Page
The Time Traveler's Wife Book 2, Chapter 23 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
An Unpleasant Scene
- Wednesday, June 28, 2006 (Henry is 43, and 43): Henry becomes conscious and finds myself lying on a dark concrete floor. One of his worst nightmares has come true – he has somehow locked himself into the Cage at the Newberry, completely exposed to whoever finds him first. After several hours, Kevin, "the Security Nazi," arrives. He calls another guard, Roy, Henry's favorite. Kevin wants to call the fire department. Henry bribes them to get him some clothes and a cup of coffee and they actually decide to help him out. Before Henry can get his clothes on, Roberto arrives. He's done with the lies: "Let's have it."
- Pop! At the very same time, Henry arrives late to work at the Newberry Library. When he walks into the office, his colleague Matt almost has a heart attack because he's just seen Henry stuck in the Cage, talking with Roberto. Together, they head down to the Cage. Roberto is arguing with Henry's other self, because he doesn't believe his "science fiction" story. That's when he sees Henry and just about falls over. Henry learns that his other self is here from August 2006. Then Henry finally explains his disorder to everyone. In the face of some pretty strong evidence, everyone believes him. Roberto decides to not fire him.
- Friday, July 7, 2006 (Henry is 43): Dr. Kendrick explains to Henry why he won't be able to cure him: Henry's immune system is not stable enough, too many of his genes are involved in the disorder, and he's too old now. When Henry asks Kendrick if Alba might have a chance, Kendrick responds that they'll never know because Clare won't agree to have Alba's DNA sequenced.
- Friday, July 4, 2006 (Clare is 35, Henry is 43): Clare is working in her studio when Henry and Alba return a shopping trip. She notices that Alba is wearing a Band-Aid on her arm and finds out that Henry took Alba to Kendrick, to have her DNA sequenced. She's livid, but Henry maintains that it's the best thing for their daughter. He wants her to have a real chance for a normal life. Clare forgives him.
- Saturday, October 27, 1984 (Henry is 43, Clare is 13): Henry now remembers the events leading to his death: he'll be in the meadow in early autumn on a chilly day. Hunting season. Clare will be thirteen, sleeping in bed. Her father Philip and Mark will spot something moving in the woods and Mark will shoot, hitting Henry. Henry will call Clare's name and wake her. She'll come running for him. Her father and brother will only find a bloody spot on the ground. Clare will see another version of Henry and that one will wave to her, knowing that somewhere out there he's dying.