The Time Traveler's Wife
Sex in The Time Traveler's Wife represents a physical connection essential to the intimacy of the characters. Sex helps Henry stay in the present, because he feels closer to Clare. For Clare, sex with Henry is tangible proof of his existence. But how much sex is enough? Clare actually poses that question to Henry and she's not the only one. Some critics of the book claim that the sex scenes don't serve the story. Then again, others claim that it's central to understanding the tale. So which is it? You decide.
Questions About Sex
- Henry mentions that Clare is the most sexual woman he has ever met. He seems to believe that women in general need less sex than men. What do you think?
- Clare and Henry's sexual relationship is not just physical – it's a way for Henry to stay present. Why do you think that is?
- What roles does sex play in Henry and Clare's relationship?
- On her date with Jason when she's a teen, Clare refuses to have sex with him, so he angrily lashes her with his belt. She then avenges his deed with Henry's help. Do you think her reaction was the right thing to do?
- Aside from Henry, the only other man Clare has sex with is Gomez. Do you think she ever loves him?