Titus Andronicus Act 2, Scene 2 Summary
- The next morning Titus and his sons wait outside the emperor's palace and prepare for a day of hunting.
- Titus says he didn't sleep well last night but he has a feeling it's going to be a good day.
- Saturninus, Tamora, Bassianus, Lavinia, Chiron, Demetrius, and a bunch of attendants enter and Titus greets them.
- Saturninus cracks a joke about how it's way too early in the morning for newly married ladies to be awake (since they're probably exhausted from the all the previous night's steamy activities).
- Lavinia announces that she's not tired at all – in fact, she's been awake for hours.
- As everyone talks excitedly about the big panther hunt, Chiron and Demetrius snicker that they're hoping to "pluck a dainty doe to the ground," which is a crude metaphor for their plan to rape Lavinia while everyone else is hunting for panther. (Check out "Symbolism, Imagery, and Allegory" if you want to know more about this.)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...