To Althea, from Prison
by Richard Lovelace
To Althea, from Prison Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why do you think Lovelace chose the name Althea? Why didn't he just give the name of the real woman he supposedly loved (Lucy)?
- Why is the poem subtle, at times, in its support for the king? Why not just say it outright all the way through?
- What is the importance of the natural world for this speaker?
- Is the human mind really as powerful as the poem says it is?
- What would you do if you were wrongfully imprisoned?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...