Song to Celia ("Drink to me only with thine eyes")
When poets refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Philostratus, Letter XXIV (1-4)
- Philostratus, Letter XXV (5-6)
- Philostratus, Letter XXX (9-12)
- Philostratus, Letter XXXI (13-16)
- Lady Mary Wroth – It is not known for certain if Celia is Lady Mary Wroth, but many scholars think she is. Check out "In a Nutshell" for more on Wroth.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search