Song to Celia ("Drink to me only with thine eyes")
by Ben Jonson
When poets refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Philostratus, Letter XXIV (1-4)
- Philostratus, Letter XXV (5-6)
- Philostratus, Letter XXX (9-12)
- Philostratus, Letter XXXI (13-16)
- Lady Mary Wroth – It is not known for certain if Celia is Lady Mary Wroth, but many scholars think she is. Check out "In a Nutshell" for more on Wroth.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...