Song to Celia ("Drink to me only with thine eyes")
Song to Celia ("Drink to me only with thine eyes") Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why is this poem obsessed with drinking? Or why is drinking one of its most dominant metaphors?
- If somebody wrote you this poem in a love letter would you laugh, cry, or feel deeply moved? Maybe something else?
- Does the large number of drinking references make the poem more or less romantic? Is it even romantic at all?
- How genuine are the speaker's feelings? Are there any clues that hint at how "for real" he is?
- Does Celia disappoint the speaker or is she all he wants her to be?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search