To My Dear and Loving Husband
To My Dear and Loving Husband Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you think the speaker loves her husband as much as she says she does? Why or why not?
- Do you think this poem is trying to make an argument or prove a point? Or is it merely describing the love between the speaker and her husband?
- Is there anything ridiculous about the speaker's claims? No river can quench it – really? Do you take her love seriously, or does she seem a bit melodramatic to you?
- How is it that the speaker and her husband will live forever, really? What do you think she means by the last two lines of the poem?
- Does this poem seem like it was written in the 1600s?
- Based on this poem alone, what do you think of Mrs. Bradstreet?