To the Lighthouse Part 1, Chapter 6 Summary
- With the phrase "someone had blundered" ringing in her ears, Mrs. Ramsay watches her husband approach.
- She can sense that he’s distraught, and gives him time to collect himself.
- The two of them chat about Charles Tansley and the possibility of going to the Lighthouse tomorrow. Mrs. Ramsay thinks it’s possible. Mr. Ramsay does not, and is irritated that his wife disagrees.
- Mr. Ramsay thinks that female minds are irrational.
- Mrs. Ramsay thinks that it’s indecent for Mr. Ramsay to crush hope.
- Mrs. Ramsay bends her head and Mr. Ramsay then feels bad. He promises to ask the Coastguards.
- Mr. Ramsay leaves, still murmuring "someone had blundered" under his breath – only now it’s more joyful.
- Mr. Ramsay walks up and down around the garden, and thinks for a long time about how to be amazing.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...