The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Chapter 10 Summary
- Tom and Huck run away, scared out of their minds.
- They take refuge in the abandoned tannery, a curiously spooky place to hide after witnessing a murder.
- The boys want to tell the authorities what happened, but they know that Injun Joe will come after them if they do.
- They decide to keep their traps shut.
- In order to make sure that they're not tempted to tell, they write up a contract and seal the deal in blood…yes, blood.
- Soon after they hear a stray dog howl – which apparently means one of them is going to die; the two promise to change their ways if they survive, until they notice that the dog's got its back to them. Apparently that means they're in the clear.
- Just then they hear another sound – somebody's snoring.
- They find Muff Potter sleeping in the corner…and the stray dog is facing right toward him. That's a bad sign for Muff.
- They try to reassure themselves that such silly superstitions don't mean anything – but they've heard slaves talk about these things, and slaves know what's up when it comes to superstitions.
- The two boys part ways, and Tom sneaks back into his bedroom.
- When he comes down the next morning, he finds his family looking terribly sad. After breakfast, Aunt Polly lets him know how awful he's made her feel.
- Tom begs her forgiveness, but leaves for school feeling terrible.
- After he and Joe Harper get flogged for playing hooky, Tom sits down and stews in his misery for a while.
- Just then he notices his brass knob sitting on the desk, and he's thrown into a deeper, darker mood.