Cite This Page
Treasure Island Chapter 27 Summary Page 1
Pieces of Eight
- At the top of the mast, Jim has a great view of the sea below him – and of Israel Hands's body up against the side of the ship.
- Jim feels sick and frightened.
- The knife in his shoulder is making him bleed, but it's Israel Hands's dead body that's really getting to him.
- Jim shudders and the knife comes loose – really, it barely hit him.
- He climbs down to the deck and bandages his injury as best he can.
- Jim decides to push O'Brien's body overboard while he's at it. He sees the two bodies of the former enemies lying entwined.
- Jim is alone on the ship.
- He climbs over the side of the Hispaniola and starts making his way back to the fort.
- It's getting darker and darker, and Jim is starting to have trouble finding his way.
- The moon rises and Jim gets really turned around. He finds himself at the edge of a clearing where there are signs of a bonfire that has burned down.
- He starts crawling on his hands and knees toward the fort.
- Jim is surprised that no one has stopped him yet – shouldn't they be guarding the stockade?
- He walks into the fort and trips on something in the dark. It's the leg of someone sleeping.
- A shrill voice suddenly calls out, "Pieces of eight!" over and over again.
- It's Captain Flint, Long John Silver's parrot.
- Everyone wakes up and Long John Silver asks who it is.
- Several hands catch Jim so he can't get away.
- Dick, the youngest pirate, brings a light out to see what's going on.