Cite This Page
Treasure Island Chapter 4 Summary Page 1
- Jim tells his mother all about the captain's last words.
- They decide to go together into town to look for help.
- They're shocked that no one will go back with them to the Admiral Benbow. They are all too afraid, especially hearing the name of Captain Flint.
- The most anyone is willing to do is to ride to Doctor Livesey's to let him know what has happened.
- Jim's mother tells them they're all cowards and announces her intention to go back to the inn and open the captain's sea-chest.
- Jim's mother expects the chest to be full of treasure, at least some of which the captain owes her for his lodgings.
- They creep slowly into the parlor of the inn, where they find the captain lying exactly where they left him.
- Jim finds a piece of paper blackened on one side (the black spot!), which says that the captain has until ten that night.
- The clock has only just struck six.
- Jim finds the key to the chest hanging around the dead captain's neck.
- Jim's mother unlocks the chest.
- They find a bunch of random things – clothes, a compass, a few trinkets, and coins from many different places.
- Jim's mother starts counting out the amount she's owed from these spare bits of change.
- Suddenly Jim hears the tapping of the blind man's stick outside; it approaches and then seems to go away.
- Jim's mother is afraid, but she won't stop carefully counting the money. She refuses to just take it all.
- Then both Jim and his mother hear a low whistle.
- Jim's mother decides to take what she has. Jim also grabs a bunch of what seem to be papers.
- They both sneak downstairs and out the back door.
- They can see a lantern and hear approaching footsteps.
- Jim's mother tells Jim to take the money because she's going to faint.
- Jim is sure they are both going to be murdered.
- Jim grabs his mother and helps her down underneath a nearby bridge to hide from sight.