The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
Cite This Page
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman Book 3, Chapter 11 Summary Page 1
- The Excommunication (by Ernulphus): Unless you can read Latin, you might want to go straight for the translation.
- And here's the translation, which Dr. Slop only reluctantly reads aloud:
- By the authority of God, may Obadiah be damned for tying these knots. We excommunicate him and sentence him to punishment. A series of curses follows, including "May he be cursed in "eating and drinking … in pissing, in shitting, and in blood-letting" (3.11.6)
- Everyone is busy being horrified by the R-rated excommunication, when—
- The door opens in the next chapter.