Tropic of Cancer
Tropic of Cancer Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Based on what you know of the narrator (Henry Miller), do you think he would prefer to live in the past, present, or future?
- What's Henry Miller's beef with women? Is this a misogynistic novel?
- What function does male friendship serve in the novel? Do these men really seem to care about each other or do they just want someone to suffer with?
- What is Miller's attitude toward America? How does it relate to Paris? Do they have anything in common?
- Is it fair to dismiss this book as pornography? If you had to argue both sides, what textual evidence would you use?
- What is Miller ultimately saying about civilization in Tropic of Cancer?
- Why do the men in this book spend so much time with prostitutes even though they're so poor?
- How does Miller seem so happy in spite of his low circumstances? What exactly makes him happy? And for that matter, is the ending really happy?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...