The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Ship's Time Summary
- This section explains how time works on a boat and how the crew's shifts are divided.
- The first watch was commanded by Mr. Hollybrass and the second by Mr. Keetch (then later Mr. Johnson).
- The watches are divided into two- or four-hour shifts.
- On a typical day, a sailor would work alternating shifts. This is known as "watch and watch."
- The "watch and watch" schedule meant that no one on the ship would have more than four hours of sleep at once.
- Time was tracked by a bell that rang every 30 minutes.