The Truth About Forever
by Sarah Dessen
The Truth About Forever Chapter 1 Summary
- Macy's boyfriend is going to Brain Camp.
- Okay, okay, it's not actually called "Brain Camp," but it's a summer camp for super-smart kids—which Jason definitely is.
- He's got Macy helping him pack, which, for him, involves making a list and checking it not just twice, but, like, 40 billion times. Wow—obsessive much?
- But Macy explains that Jason is perfect. Like, really. Every single kind-hearted, socially responsible, intelligent thing he does, he does amazingly well.
- All this musing on Jason's mad life skills brings on… a flashback.
- Macy remembers the first day she met Jason, in sophomore English class.
- They were put into groups to discuss Macbeth, but something traumatic had recently happened to Macy, so she wasn't really all there.
- Jason was kind to her, and explained the plot; and Macy felt like maybe he could help her through her trauma, too.
- Back in the present, Jason and Macy hop in the car so that Jason's parents can drive them to the airport.
- Macy will be taking over Jason's job for the summer—working at the library information desk.
- She doesn't really expect to do much else, since she doesn't have many friends. After all, being with Jason takes all of her time.
- They're not a very touchy-feely couple, but as they say goodbye at the airport, he does give Macy a few quick kisses. Quick being the operative word here.
- The goodbyes bring on another flashback. This time, it's to that traumatic experience Macy had been dealing with—witnessing her dad's death.
- She hated the sympathetic face people always made when they heard, and she hated being known as the girl who'd been there when her dad died.
- She hadn't wanted to go jogging with him that morning (the day after Christmas), but had changed her mind and run after him a few minutes later, only to find him lying on the road, a stranger doing CPR on him.
- Flashback over.
- Macy gets home from the airport, and finds an EZ Products box waiting on the porch.
- Her dad had been obsessed with ordering stuff from late night infomercials and had been such a good customer that even now, after his death, they sent him stuff on a regular basis.
- Time for—you guessed it—another flashback.
- Macy's dad's enthusiasm for all those wacky new products was one of the things she loved most about him.
- After he died, Macy, her sister Caroline, and her mom Deborah, all reacted in different ways.
- Caroline cried her eyes out; Macy brooded, silent and angry; and their mom went on a cleaning binge, giving away everything in the house they hadn't used in a while.
- But Macy saved her dad's box of EZ Products from the Goodwill truck and hid it in her room.
- Now, whenever a new box came, she felt like it was a gift for her from her dad—especially since his last Christmas gift to her had been an IOU.
- He had told her the gift would be late, but that she would love it. But he had died before he had had a chance to give it to her.
- Now, every time a new box came and her mom threw it out, she'd dig it out of the trash and add it to the collection in her room.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...