Tuck Everlasting Chapter 14 Summary
- Back at the Tucks' house, no one is sure what to do. But since it's bedtime, they decide to hit the hay.
- Tuck is really suspicious about the whole situation, but Mae tells him to calm down.
- Winnie bunks on the sofa, only to find out she can't sleep. Weirdly, she misses the home she was so uncomfortable in just one day before.
- She wonders about whether the Tucks are actually immortal or not (could it really be true?!), and then she thinks about Yellow Suit Guy.
- Eventually, Winnie starts to relax; she's getting used to being alone in the Tucks' living room and hearing all the small night animals make their sounds.
- Soon enough, she has a few visitors. First, Mae comes in to check on her; it's pretty clear that Mae's really fond of our leading lady.
- Next up, Tuck. He wants to reassure Winnie, but he doesn't seem to know quite what to say. Instead, he just gives her a kiss before leaving.
- At this point, Winnie's thoughts grow more and more complex. She can't figure out what's up with the Tucks. It's like an information overload.
- One more visitor! Jesse comes in, and—are you ready for this?—he basically proposes to her. He asks her to think about waiting a few years, until she's seventeen, and then drinking from the magic spring. Then she and he could be together, and maybe get married.
- Winnie is so overwhelmed that she can't speak. Jesse asks her to consider it, and then he goes back to bed.
- And Winnie thought she couldn't sleep before. Now she has an even harder time falling asleep because she's so stunned by Jesse's comment. Eventually, though, she drifts off.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search