by Natalie Babbitt
Tuck Everlasting Chapter 24 Summary
- Winnie sneaks out of the house. Too easy. She meets Jesse outside and they head to the jailhouse as quickly as they can.
- Still, the world seems strange, quiet, and a little scary. It feels like it's about to rain.
- At the jail, Winnie and Jesse meet Miles and Tuck. They embrace. We grab a tissue.
- Winnie distracts herself with some poetry (Richard Lovelace—heavy stuff!) while Miles works to get the window out.
- It takes an excruciatingly long time, and they even have to take a break when the constable patrols.
- Finally, Miles goes back to work and gets all the nails out. It takes two big efforts, but finally, the window comes free.
- Mae reaches up and very slowly struggles through the window with the help of Tuck and their sons.
- The thunder and lightning is totally setting the scene, too. And somewhat dramatically, the weather changes: it starts raining.
- Winnie hugs and kisses each of the Tucks, finishing with Jesse. Jesse tells her to not forget them.
- Miles helps Winnie get back inside the jail cell, and she watches from within as he replaces the window.
- A huge rainstorm settles in, and when Winnie peeks out the window, there's no sign of any of the Tucks.
- It worked.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...