The Turn of the Screw
The Turn of the Screw Chapter 23 Summary
- Wow, is this ever awkward. The Governess and Miles, alone at last, speak cagily about Miles's explorations of the grounds over the past day or so, when he's been left to his own devices.
- Finally, it's time to get everything out in the open. The Governess insists that she's only there to help Miles and to be with him – and he sees that she wants him to tell her everything.
- As he prepares to confess, she sees for the first time that he's afraid – of her.
- Miles nervously tells the Governess that he'll tell her anything, but not just now; he says he has to go see Luke (one of the servants).
- Before she lets him go, the Governess just asks him one thing: did he take the letter she left in the hall yesterday?