Twelfth Night, or What You Will
Twelfth Night, or What You Will Act 3, Scene 2 Summary
- Back at Olivia's pad, Sir Andrew Aguecheek tells Fabian and Sir Toby Belch that he's out of there – Olivia's never going to marry him so he should just go home. In fact, Olivia seems to be after Duke Orsino's serving boy, "Cesario."
- Fabian tells Aguecheek that Olivia's just pretending to be into "Cesario" because she wants to make him jealous.
- Toby says Aguecheek should pick a sword fight with "Cesario" and kick "his" butt if he wants Olivia to respect him.
- Toby tells Aguecheek to write a mean and nasty note to "Cesario" so he can deliver the challenge to the "boy." He tells his pal to make it really mean and scary.
- Aguecheek runs off to write the letter and Fabian and Toby laugh at what a chump he is. Toby says he's been using Sir Andrew Aguecheek to fund his partying.
- Toby also says he's not going to deliver the letter because it wouldn't do any good – both "Cesario" and Aguecheek are wimps and neither one of them likes to fight. He's got a better plan.
- Maria enters and tells them to come quick: Malvolio's wearing yellow stockings and smiling like a fool (just like the forged letter instructed him to do). Olivia's going to think he's gone crazy.
- They run off to watch what happens.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...