Twilight Chapter 15: The Cullens Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Bella wakes up to Edward – she's ecstatic that he didn't leave her.
- Edward gives her the recap of the night: Bella talked in her sleep:
His gold eyes grew very soft. "You said you loved me."
"You knew that already," I reminded him, ducking my head.
"It was nice to hear, just the same."
[...] "I love you," I whispered.
"You are my life now," he answered simply. (15.25-30)
- Edward invites Bella to come over to his house and meet his family. He's also hoping that she'll soon introduce him to Charlie...as her boyfriend.
- They head over the Cullen house. Edward introduces Dr. (Carlisle) Cullen, his adoptive father, Esme, his adoptive mother, and Alice and Jasper, his adoptive siblings. (His other two "siblings," Rosalie and Emmett, aren't home because Rosalie isn't supportive of Edward's relationship with Bella.)
- Alice kisses Bella on the cheek and says, "You do smell nice, I never noticed before" (15.138). Awkward.
- Edward plays the piano for Bella. He's an incredible musician and has even composed a song inspired by Bella.
- Bella asks how Carlisle and Esme feel about her. Edward's response:
"[They] are happy to see me happy. Actually, Esme wouldn't care if you had a third eye and webbed feet. All this time she's been worried about me, afraid that there was something missing from my essential makeup, that I was too young when Carlisle changed me...She's ecstatic. Every time I touch you, she just about chokes with satisfaction." (15.189)
- Edward takes Bella upstairs to Carlisle's office, where Edward tells her a bit about Carlisle's past (he's 362 years old). He was the son of a pastor that killed vampires, but during one vampire-hunt, Carlisle was bitten.