Twilight Chapter 19: Goodbye Summary
How It All Goes Down
- When Edward drives Bella home, she sets her plan into motion.
- Bella begins by making a big fuss in front of Charlie. She cries, screams at Edward, "Leave me alone!" (19.17), and slams the door in his face. She tells Charlie that she's broken up with Edward and is "going home!" (19.20), meaning to Phoenix.
- Worried and confused, Charlie says, "I thought you liked him" (19.29). Bella's response:
"I do like him – that's the problem. I can't do this anymore! I can't put down any more roots here! I don't want to end up trapped in this stupid, boring town like Mom! I'm not going to make the same dumb mistake she did. I hate it – I can't stay here another minute!" (19.33)
- She storms up to her bedroom. Edward has snuck into her room and helps her packs her bags. She then tells Edward she'll meet him at the car.
- Downstairs, Bella feels that she has to hurt Charlie enough that he won't follow her and become James's next victim. "Just let me go, Charlie" (19.42), Bella says, repeating her mother's last words before leaving him.
- Bella gets in her truck and leaves. Charlie doesn't realize that she's off with Edward, Alice, and Emmett, heading to the Cullen house.
- When they arrive, Laurent is telling Carlisle about James: "I've never seen anything like him in my three hundred years. He's absolutely lethal" (19.106).
- The Cullens hatch a plan to make Bella safe. Alice and Jasper will take her to Phoenix. Esme and Rosalie will take Bella's truck in hopes of leading James (or his partner, Victoria) off in the wrong direction. Edward, Emmett, and Carlisle will go in yet another direction. Eventually, they hope to catch and destroy James.
- Edward says his goodbye to Bella:
He caught me up in his iron grip, crushing me to him. He seemed unaware of his watching family and he pulled my face to his, lifting my feet off the floor. For the shortest second, his lips were icy and hard against mine. Then it was over. He set me down, still holding my face, his glorious eyes burning into mine. (19.147)
- Edward leaves, and Bella sets off with Jasper and Alice.
Next Page: Chapter 20: Impatience
Previous Page: Chapter 18: The Hunt