Cite This Page
Twilight Chapter 20: Impatience Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- Bella is now in a hotel room in Phoenix with Alice and Jasper, waiting for news from Carlisle.
- Jasper is using his ability to read and manipulate emotions to help Bella remain calm. But she's anxious for Edward and the other Cullens' safety all the same.
[Jasper:] "Trust me on this – none of us are in jeopardy. […] Our family is strong. Our only fear is losing you."
"But why should you –"
Alice interrupted this time […]. "It's been almost a century that Edward's been alone. Now he's found you. You can't see the changes that we see, we who have been with him for so long. Do you think any of us want to look into his eyes for the next hundred years if he loses you?" (20.50-52)
- To pass the time, Bella asks Alice how humans transform into vampires. Alice tells her, even though she's sure that Edward will be "extremely angry" (20.76). Vampires are venomous – if they bite someone but don't killing him or her, the venom will spread through the victim's body and eventually turn the person into a vampire. The process is long and painful.
- Suddenly, Alice sees a vision of the future – James must have changed his plans, and thus altered the future. She sees a room full of mirrors.
- Carlisle calls, and Alice tells him about her vision.
- Bella speaks with Edward on the phone. They've lost James, but the Cullens are safe, as is Charlie.
- When Bella gets off the phone, she checks out the sketch Alice has drawn of the room with the mirrors. Bella recognizes it at the ballet studio around the corner from her mom's home outside of Phoenix.
- Worried, Bella calls her mom's home and leaves a message, giving her Alice's cell phone number. Bella knows that her mom is in Florida with Phil, but still checking the messages on her home answering machine. Bella asks her mom to give her a call.