Twilight Chapter 23: The Angel Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Bella hears a snarl, but she thinks she's dead.
- She hears an "angel" (Edward) speaking to her: "Bella, Bella, no, oh please, no, no!" (23.11)
- Carlisle says that she's broken her leg and some ribs. He's working on stopping her bleeding.
- Edward realizes that James bit Bella's hand. She's in terrible pain as the vampire venom starts spreading through her body.
- Carlisle says that there is still a way for Edward to save Bella from transforming into a vampire: he can suck the venom-infected blood out of her body.
"Carlisle, I…" Edward hesitated. "I don't know if I can do that." There was agony in his beautiful voice again.
"It's your decision, Edward, either way. I can't help you. I have to get this bleeding stopped here if you're going to be taking blood from her hand." (23.45-46)
- Though Bella, our narrator, is only semi-conscious, we get the idea that Edward does suck the venom out of Bella's blood. Then she falls asleep.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...