Cite This Page
Uglies Chapter 4 Summary Page 1
- Shay teaches Tally how to ride a hoverboard, which involve special grippy shoes, magnetic crash bracelets so you don't fall, and a belly sensor. Also, for some reason, you have to keep using the word "extreme!"
- The hoverboards, like the crash bracelets, use magnets to levitate, so they only work over metal.
- Most of this chapter is about how Tally learns to use a hoverboard. And as the title indicates, she's not so good at first.
- But we also learn that Shay only uses Tally's ugly nickname (Squint) as an insult. Which is weird, because everyone else uses ugly nicknames just like normal names.
- Also, Tally and Shay are about the same age, so they should turn pretty at around the same time.
- But Shay seems a little strange and quiet around the topic of being turned pretty. That's probably not a huge plot point, right?