The Unbearable Lightness of Being
The Unbearable Lightness of Being Part 2, Chapter 2 Summary
- Tereza's stomach rumbling reveals "the irreconcilable duality of body and soul" (2.2.1).
- Before we understood the body scientifically, man could not identify himself with so foreign an object.
- But now that we understand the body, we can't simply imagine it as a cage, and can't pretend that our real self is the soul buried inside. The soul and the body are mixed up together.
- Except not in Tereza's case. She had just fallen in love with Tomas, and then her stomach rumbled.
- The contrast between something so spiritual and something so physical wrenched a divide between her soul and her body.