The Unbearable Lightness of Being
by Milan Kundera
The Unbearable Lightness of Being Part 4, Chapter 17 Summary
- The engineer starts unbuttoning her blouse.
- He wants her to take part in the foreplay, but she remains passive; she doesn't want to take any responsibility for what happens.
- Her soul remains neutral with regards to what happens to her body.
- And yet she becomes incredibly aroused, all the more because she is becoming aroused against her will.
- By the time she is naked in his arms, Tereza's soul sees her body, for the first time, not as something banal but as something fascinating.
- As they begin to have sex, Tereza is filled with hatred.
- She doesn't want to let her body take pleasure in a stranger's embrace, and yet her body is taking pleasure in it.
- At the moment when she has an orgasm, she spits in his face.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...