Uncle Tom's Cabin
Uncle Tom's Cabin Chapter 4 Summary
- Uncle Tom’s cabin is a cozy building close to the Shelby’s house. There he lives with his wife, "Aunt" Chloe, and his children.
- It’s a comfortable little house and Aunt Chloe is one amazing cook. (Read the descriptions of her food and you’ll find yourself salivating.)
- Master George Shelby (Mr. Shelby’s son) drops by and works with Uncle Tom, who is learning how to read and write.
- George teases Aunt Chloe that a neighbor boy thinks his cook is the best in the world. Aunt Chloe, who is the head cook in the Shelby household, tells the young man to invite the neighbor over for dinner sometime – she’ll cook a dinner that will put his cook to shame.
- Aunt Chloe describes her pie crusts the way some people describe the female body.
- Slaves show up for a church service in the cabin and Master George reads from the Scriptures.
- While all this goes on, Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley meet and finalize their business. Mr. Shelby has agreed to sell Tom.
- Feeling uneasy about it, Mr. Shelby tries to get Mr. Haley to reiterate his promise that he’ll make sure Tom goes to a good master.
- Now that the papers are signed and the deed is done, Mr. Haley is only willing to say that he’ll try his best but he can’t promise.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search