Uncle Tom's Cabin Chapter 42 Summary
- Rumors abound at the Legree plantation that there are ghosts in the attic. In fact, everybody is so scared that Cassy feels like they can make as much noise as they like.
- Legree hears the whisperings and it gives him bad dreams. He drinks too much and locks his door at night but he can’t lock out spirits.
- Cassy even glides into his room in a sheet. He thinks it’s his mother’s shroud. He hears her whisper, "Come! Come! Come!" He’s terrorized and begins drinking even harder than before.
- Soon after that, he gets sick and starts dying.
- But in the meantime, Cassy and Emmeline have escaped. In fact, they escape in time to see George Shelby leaving on the same boat they use to make their own escape.
- George sees Cassy’s face and thinks it looks familiar but he can’t figure out why.
- Cassy realizes this and finally tells him her entire story. George sympathizes completely, given what he’s seen of the Legree plantation.
- A French lady and child stay in the stateroom next to Cassy’s. When the French woman hears George is from Kentucky, she begins to make further inquiries. She asks if he knows somebody named Harris. Eventually, she admits that her brother was a slave that belonged to a man named Harris.
- Of course, it turns out that George Harris is the French lady’s brother. George Shelby tells her that George Harris escaped to Canada with his wife, Eliza, who was one of Mrs. Shelby’s slaves.
- Cassy, listening to his story, realizes that Eliza is her long-lost daughter.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...