Simon Legree Timeline and Summary
- Legree inspects Tom and Emmeline and buys them both, along with another woman, referred to as a "mulatto," named Lucy.
- At the plantation, Legree gives Lucy to one of his primary hands, Sambo, despite Lucy’s protests that she already has a husband.
- When Tom shows kindness to other slaves, Legree determines to break him. He tries to command Tom to beat Lucy but Tom refuses to do it. Then he beats Tom instead, and arranges for Sambo and Quimbo to complete the job.
- Legree fights with Cassy over Emmeline. Cassy tells Legree to leave Tom alone but he won’t listen to her.
- Legree falls for Cassy’s trick and begins to believe that the garret really is haunted by ghosts.
- When Cassy and Emmeline escape, Legree asks Tom what he knows. Tom refuses to tell him anything, so Legree, Sambo, and Quimbo beat Tom up so badly that he dies.
- Legree tells George Shelby that he will never be punished for Tom’s death. Who will believe the word of black slaves over his word? Legally, he can do what he wants without punishment.
Next Page: Topsy Timeline
Previous Page: Evangeline St. Clare